Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

Houghton Village website

All Saints Church

Houghton Village website All Saints Church

History of the church

All Saints’ dates from the 12th century.  Evidence of an earlier church were found during the nineteenth century alterations. The font is probably twelfth or thirteenth century. It stands on a square base of Purbeck marble. The cover, which is modern, was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, and was given in 1886. Near the altar rails can be seen the tomb of James Sessions, the rector who was ejected by the Commonwealth Parliament in 1650. The earliest recorded Rector of Houghton was John Clavel in 1259. A spire was added to the tower in 1890. The £128 cost was raised by the landowners.

In recent years over £100,000 has been spent on essential repairs, together with the installation of a new peal of bells.


Whilst we are waiting for the appointment of a new Rector, the current contacts are the two Churchwardens;

Michael Woodall  -  [email protected]                01264 810500

Richard James     -    [email protected]                       01794  388534


Currently these are held twice a month, on the second and last Sunday.  The second Sunday of the month worship takes the form of a Family Communion at 9.30 am; the last Sunday of the month is an Evensong at 6.00 pm. Please come and join us.

​Bell Ringing

We have assembled a team of Bell Ringers, who, with help from other bell ringers in nearby villages, can ring for most major services. There are weekly bell ringing practices on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. New ringers are always welcome. If you’d like to find out more or have a go (without an audience!) please contact Bob Gosse  [email protected]    01794 388617.

Bell Ringing groups from round the country also visit All Saints.  Any groups interested in visiting to ring bells should contact Bob Gosse  - see above. 


Weddings in 2019 are already booked for  25 May, 6 July, 10 August and 23 November...and they have all asked for bells to be rung.

In 2018, six weddings were held - in the May to September period -  and they all had bells rung before and/or after the service.  


All Saints’ is involved in various fund raising events throughout the year. The church has an active Parochial Church Council  -  PCC -  together with a sub-group known as “The Friends”.

"The Friends" is currently chaired by Sue Marshall - [email protected] 01794 388538. The Secretary/Treasurer is Julie Moldon - [email protected] - 01794 388204

"The Friends” hosted a very successful 'Summer Drinks and Canapes' event in the church on Saturday 2nd June . "The Friends" thank everyone who came and made a valuable contribution, both socially....and to the funds! 

There is an annual Harvest Supper, held in Houghton Village Hall in October. The 2019 date will be announced later this year. Profits from this event are shared between All Saints PCC and Houghton Village Hall. 

Church Cleaning Rota

This team keeps the church on sparkling form. If you could offer to join the rota, please contact Sheryl Williams - [email protected]  -  01794 389636. The rota is published each month in Houghton News.


Hover the 'mouse'  over the 'thumbnail' images below for the caption; click on them for a fuller screen.