Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

Houghton Village website

Neighbourhood Watch

Houghton Village website Neighbourhood Watch
Houghton Village website Neighbourhood Watch

Sara Walker is Houghton's Neighbourhood Watch Co-Ordinator   Should you wish to contact her you can email her on [email protected] . 

June 2019 Report

Traditional crime has been quiet in the area over the past few weeks but this is little consolation to the resident in Kings Somborne who had several staddlestones stolen and to another in Little Somborne whose house alarm fortunately went off when there was an attempted burglary; the landowner whose trout were poached, the Broughton resident who owned the motorbike stolen from a locked shed, and the Houghton resident who had property stolen from a secure garage.  In addition a car was stolen in Middle Wallop (later recovered some distance away),  and there were reports of a theft of a catalytic converter  and a forced entry to a garage in the Wallops.  Also in the Wallops, while police were in Over Wallop on Thursday they stumbled across a large amount of cannabis growing in a house – I am told that the smell coming from the address was so strong they were surprised no one had reported it!

However while traditional crimes have been low, courier frauds and scams appear are on the increase.

HMRC has experienced an increase in the reporting of malicious calls and voicemails to members of the public purporting to be from HMRC.  They received over 100,000 reports of phone scams against UK tax payers in the last tax year. In genuine cases HMRC will make direct contact with you first via post/letter and will follow up that letter with a phone call at a later date.  They will quote the reference number on the initial letter but will not discuss anything you are not already aware of and will never demand immediate payment.

Fake Talk-Talk emails are plentiful at the moment, stating that the resident is owed a refund.  Links in these emails lead to malicious websites.  Do not click on the links or attachments in suspicious email and never respond to messages that ask for your personal or financial details.

Courier Fraud - I am sorry to say that people continue to be tricked by phone calls from people claiming to be a police officer or banking official.  The suspect might say that there has been fraudulent activity at the victim’s bank, the victim’s card has been compromised and other such stories, and ask people to withdraw money or hand over their bank card.   They are most convincing but police and banks never phone and ask for your pin or bank password,  ask you to withdraw money to hand over to them for safe-keeping, transfer money out of your account or send someone to your home to collect cash, PINs, or cards to cheque books. 

An elderly resident in Stockbridge was recently overheard answering her telephone and before long was giving out her name, age, present address and past address.  When asked who she was speaking to, she had no idea but he sounded a very nice young man!  It is so easy for the old and vulnerable to be lulled into a false sense of security but this is just the sort of information a fraudster needs to set up a convincing scam.  

Lastly,  to give you some idea of the scale of drug and county lines problems, in the past year Andover police have made 90 arrests, seized £85,000 of drugs and confiscated £23,000 in cash related to Class A drug supply in the town – and that’s just Andover!  Much of this police activity is due to information received from the community so do report any suspicious activity (or smells!) on 101, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, or let me know. 

To read the latest local Police Reports, please click on one of the links below. 

Reporting crime

• in an emergency, when a crime is in progress or there is a danger to life always dial 999.
  • for non-urgent crime and general enquiries dial 101.

Please keep reporting crimes and suspicious activity.

The police can’t act if they don’t know what’s happening

If you have any questions or suggestions on how you think NHW can work best for the village I would really like to hear them, so please do contact me, Sara Walker, on the Neighbourhood Watch village email [email protected]  Thank you.